Promethazine VC with codeine Oral solution
What is Promethazine VC Plain?
Phenylephrine is a decongestant that shrinks blood vessels in the nasal passages. Dilated blood vessels can cause nasal congestion (stuffy nose).
Promethazine is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose.
Promethazine VC Plain is a combination medicine used to treat sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, hives, skin rash, itching, and other cold or allergy symptoms.
What is the most important information I should know about Promethazine VC With Codeine(Oral)?
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to codeine, phenylephrine, or promethazine, or if you have:
- severe asthma or breathing problems;
- a stomach or bowel obstruction (including paralytic ileus);
- severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure;
- severe coronary artery disease (clogged arteries);
- narrow-angle glaucoma; or
- if you are unable to urinate.
Do not give this medicine to anyone younger than 6 years old.
How should I take Promethazine VC Plain?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take Promethazine VC Plain in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. This medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up.
Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 2 years old. Always ask a doctor before giving a cough or cold medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough and cold medicines in very young children.
Measure liquid medicine with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Do not take for longer than 7 days in a row. Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 7 days of treatment, or if you have a fever with a headache or skin rash.
If you need surgery or medical tests, tell the surgeon or doctor ahead of time if you have taken this medicine within the past few days.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze.
Promethazine VC Plain side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have:
- seizure (convulsions);
- weak or shallow breathing;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- confusion, hallucinations;
- sudden weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, sore throat, mouth sores, red or swollen gums, trouble swallowing;
- uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs; or
- severe nervous system reaction–very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, feeling like you might pass out.